Today, let’s dip into the ordinary caffeine solution review. I tried it for several weeks and now, I am sharing everything.
Should we have faith in The Ordinary eye treatment for dark circles and puffy eyes? Let’s get started!
About The Caffeine Solution 5 EGCG Serum
The ordinary eye serum is a treatment for dark circles that targets fine lines and reduces puffiness. It contains:
- A high concentration of caffeine (5%)
- highly purified egcg Epigallocatechin Gallatyl Glucoside
Its principal function is to brighten dark circles, softening eye contour pigmentation. It also tightens the skin and reduces puffiness appearance.
Who Can Benefit From It?
Use The Ordinary eye serum if you’re experiencing shallow puffiness and dark circles.
It is designed for topical use and indicated for under eyes skin concerns caused by :
- Sleepless nights
- Stress and things like that
- Other Superficial temporary reasons
The brand stated this won’t treat permanent puffiness and genetic, hereditary dark circles.
How & When To Use
Use this serum in your morning (AM) and night (PM) routine on dark circles and puffy eyes.
Drop a tiny bit of it onto my finger. Then gently massage the under eye area.
A tip is to pair this eye contour serum with moisturizing eye creams to keep under eyes hydrated.
Can I Use The Caffeine Solution 5 EGCG Every Day?
Yes, Add it as a part of your skincare routine for better and faster results on dark circles and puffy eyes.
The Ordinary Caffeine Solution Review
Here’s my honest The Ordinary Caffeine Solution Review. I have oily skin and have used it for almost three months, just for the records.
Package, Consistency, Texture, Fragrance
The ordinary caffeine solution 5 is fragrance-free and has a lightweight gelly serum texture.
The eye serum spreads well throughout the eye contour area, so just a tiny bit of it is enough.
It is quick to dry, so you can add it and quickly move on to the next steps in your skincare routine.
There are two different versions of the dropper applicator. The black dropper and the white one.
Some people get confused with the dropper applicator color changing
and the difference between them.
Dacien’s site disclosed the product is being temporarily supplied with the black dropper and there’s no difference.
The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5 EGCG First Impressions
My dark circles and puffiness are somewhat normal, not too noticeable.
In the first days, there was nothing special. I know these things take time, so I waited a little more to conclude.
Results Over The weeks
Over the weeks, I had minor improvements, but I noticed the under-eye area was drying out a bit.
I had to use eye cream on top of this serum to fix it.
Does the Caffeine Solution 5 EGCG really work For dark circles and puffy eyes?
Many reviews out there say this is a miracle in a bottle. This isn’t the truth in my opinion.
This is a good product, I had improvements but it didn’t treat my dark circles and puffiness 100%.
It is a super affordable treatment for dark circles and puffiness that is effective and valuable.
Ironically, it worked a bit better for eye puffiness than for the dark circles.
How Long Does The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5 EGCG Take To Work?
For me, it took about three weeks. For better results, Make sure you keep a consistent skincare routine.
The Ordinary Caffeine Solution Before And After
Even though I had noticed some improvements, In my case, the before and after results were not that huge.
- Contains UV Radiation Protection
- The caffeine solution 5 EGCG works fine and It is easy to spread on the skin.
- Treated puffiness and dark circles to some extent /Improved the eye area appearance
- After all, you can gently massage the area, as the texture is perfect for that.
- cruelty free
- oil free
The biggest problem I experienced was that I noticed my skin got dry under the eye contour area.
This means that I need to use the caffeine solution 5 EGCG eye serum with another eye serum for skin hydration.
This also contains urea and lactic acid, which may not be indicated if you have sensitive skin on the eye area, as it can irritate.
My skin is sensitive, and didn’t experience irritations but it is nice to be aware.
Is it Worth It?
The ordinary caffeine solution 5 is super affordable and will deliver results to one extent or another.
It treats significant skincare concerns such as pesky dark circles caused by lack of sleep and stress. I think this is worth it.
The only problem is, it may dry out the under eyes skin. By Knowing that, you decide to try this out or not.
This adds an extra step to my skincare routine and makes me think, do I need to use two eye products?
Let’s talk a little more about the key ingredients.
- Provides UV radiation protection
- Can reduce puffiness
- Efficient in anti-aging, anti wrinkles age spots
- ingredients aqua that tightens the skin
- antioxidant content that fights free radicals that cause wrinkles or age spots
- Has higher concentration, than found in most eye creams
EGCG From Green Tea Leaves (Epigallocatechin gallatyl glucoside EGCG)
- EGCG Is a polyphenol that’s extracted from green tea leaves. that soothes the skin
- green tea is widely used by the cosmetics industry and may help and reduce eye puffiness
- antioxidant content protects from free radicals Often times more efficient than Vitamin E
- Efficient to fight puffiness and dark circles
- Contains Sun protection
- Improves crow’s feet appearance
Soybean Seed Extract Or Soja Soybean Seed Extract
- soja soybean seed extract firms and strengthens the area
Down below, there is another ingredient list that I got from Incidecoder.com. I think it was nice to share.
– Exfoliant: Lactic Acid
– Skin brightening: Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Ext
In addition, you can find the following ingredients:
- dehydroacetic acid, pentylene glycol, benzyl alcohol, xanthan gum, oxidized glutathione
The Ordinary Caffeine Review: Tips For better results
If you opt to add this serum to your skincare products list, there are some tips to make the most of it.
- Be consistent and patient and use it every day AM and PM and wait at least three weeks to draw conclusions
- It’s a good idea to leave it in the refrigerator, that way you can apply the cool product onto your under eyes
- Pair this eye serum with hydrating eye contour creams
Layering The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG
Accordingly to Decien, it is ok to pair and layer this eye serum with other products.
Should I Use it Before Or After Moisturizer?
I learned to apply serums before eye creams. But I believe the order doesn’t matter.
I think it is because the eye serum will be absorbed quickly by the skin and it is more organized to do that.
Eye creams to pair
I believe most eye creams will go along well with it. Here you have a few products you can opt for.
Cerave eye contour Repair Cream
The Cerave Repair eye contour cream contains hyaluronic acid, which provides an extra layer of hydration.
This is one of the best eye creams to pair with the caffeine solution 5 EGCG because it mainly moisturizes.
I have used this one myself, and it works like a regular moisturizer just for the eye contour area.
Pros: Leaves the skin hydrated and moisturized
- From my own experience, it is not that efficient for puffiness
- The texture is really thick which is difficult to spread onto the skin
CETAPHIL Hydrating eye contour Gel-Cream
The CETAPHIL Hydrating eye contour Gel-Cream is very gentle and suitable for all skin types.
It also contains Hyaluronic acid for instant hydration that lasts up to 24 hours.
- Contains Hyaluronic acid which hydrates and prevents age spots
- Prevents irritations
- Treats skin concerns such as puffy eyes and under eyes redness
Cons: It may be a problem if you don’t like gel solutions.
Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG Alternatives
L’Oreal Hyaluronic Acid + Caffeine eye contour Serum
The L’Oreal Hyaluronic Acid + Caffeine is a hydrating eye contour Serum that treats puffiness and dark circles.
Its revitalizing formula treats Wrinkles, Aging, age spots and is suitable for all skin types.
Pros: Fragrance-free, paraben-free and allergy tested
Cons: May take a while to start showing the benefits
Ordinary caffeine solution 5 EGCGThe Patch test
Decien always recommends you perform a patch test before using the ordinary products.
You can look at their complete guide which explains all the steps you need to take.
The ordinary & Pregnancy
Decien stated they never tested their skincare products on pregnant women.
If you are pregnant and want to use The Ordinary products, it is better to look for medical advice before.
The Ordinary Caffeine Solution Review Q&A
✪ Is it safe?
There are rumors that caffeine solution 5 EGCG may irritate sensitive skin
I didn’t have any problem, but always perform a patch test in the area to be on the safe side.
✪ Is this serum supposed to burn?
No. The ordinary caffeine solution 5 EGCG is not supposed to burn. If that happens, it is better to wash the area and suspend it immediately.
✪ When does the ordinary caffeine solution expire?
Once you open the bottle, it takes 12 months to expire. Always check the box for updates.
✪ How long does the serum last?
It lasts long because you need only a small amount of the product on each application.
✪ Is this serum vegan?
Yes. The Ordinary products are is vegan and cruelty free
✪ can you use this serum on your eyelids?
No. I used it on my eyelids only to have my eyes irritated. It got a little itchy and red.
✪ can you use it with niacinamide?
Yes, it is fine. I would pair it with another eye contour cream that contains niacinamide.
✪Can you use it with vitamin C?
You can pair it with eye creams that contain vitamin C.
✪ Can you use it on your face?
The ordinary caffeine solution 5 is a treatment to reduce eye puffiness and dark circles.
This cannot be used as a facial cream or face moisturizer.
Decien Recommends you apply the caffeine solution 5 egcg eye serum only under the eyes.
The Ordinary Caffeine Solution Review Final thoughts
Independent studies show that caffeine solution 5 is effective, can reduce the appearance of puffiness and dark circles over time.
Here are some final conclusions based on my testing:
- I use it before face moisturizer, and normally pair it with hydrating eye creams
- If you use it consistently you may end up noticing small improvements in your eye contour area
- You can safely use it for puffy eyes and pesky dark circles.
- While adding it onto the eye contour, make sure to avoid your eyelids to avoid eye irritation
- It doesn’t work to treat sub dermal tissues
Articles You Might Like Reading