What is bronzer used for? This is a recurring question I receive and would like to share with you some tips and tricks to help you get the most of this makeup item! So, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What Is Bronzer Used For?
A Bronzer is designed to give you a sun-kissed look, which is perfect to give you a healthy cool appearance, as an extra touch of beauty to your look. Here’s a quick list of things that you can use a bronzer for:
- Gives you a sun-kissed healthier look on the face and body
- Can be used as a substitute for facial contouring
- To give a nice shadow and complement to the blush
- In some cases, you can apply bronzer on the jawline to make the chin look smaller
- As a base for your eyeshadow look
- Shimmery bronzers can also be a substitute for highlighting
Read Also: Bronzer vs Contour: What Is The Difference?
As simple as that, this is what you can expect from the bronzer, but not everyone dares to add it to their makeup routines with the fear that this may overdo their looks.
The reality is that if you apply bronzer correctly, you will definitely have a wonderful sun-kissed natural look. Take a look at the next lines to learn more how to take advantage of this tool.
However, before we get started on how to apply bronzer, it would be nice to take a look at the different types of bronzers so we can decide which one we will think is more suitable for us.
Types Of Bronzers And Their Uses: What To Pick?
The most common types of bronzers are powder bronzer, but there are other types such as gel, cream, liquid, and sticky bronzers. All these forms of bronzers can be matte or shimmery.
Matte Vs Shimmer Bronzers
You may be wondering when you should pick shimmer or opaque bronzers and it all depends on the occasion you intend to use it and your personality goes along with it as well.
If you are going to a night out, a wedding and mega parties it is a great idea to add some shine to it. However when you are going to the office event, the opaque version may be a nicer idea.
Apart from that, opaque bronzer is technically better if you are using the bronzer as a substitute for contouring, because it will give you a better depth and definition to create the effect that you want.
Best used for: Giving a sunkissed look.
Even though you can apply powder bronzers everywhere, I think they are best suitable for the face. Once again if you are intending to use them as a substitute for contouring, then you should opt for an opaque bronzer.
The shimmery ones are perfect to apply under the blush. In case you are using a shimmery blush as well. If you are using an opaque blush, then you should match it with an opaque bronzer.
How to use opaque Powder Bronzer
Face: Start applying on the top center of the forehead, following the stroke of your face until the center of chin, making a 3 shape. Then apply it under the cheek right after the blush line.
Body: After using cream of liquid or gel bronzers or even foundation on your body, it is a nice idea to apply the powder bronzer to help the product sink in and last longer.
How to use Shimmer Powder Bronzer
Face: Use the shimmer powder bronzer only as a complement or substitute to blush. If you use a blush, then apply the bronzer right below it.
Body: Use it in the same way you would use an opaque bronzer, but remember to apply it on the neck, cliver, and shoulders as well.
Creamy, Liquid, Gel bronzers
While you can still use creamy bronzers on the face, I prefer to use liquid and gel bronzers on the body. There are specific bronzers for the body so you pick them up for adding a sun-kissed color to shoulders, arms and legs as well.
Tips To Apply Bronzer Like A Pro
The following steps will help your skin to better receive the bronzer and make it last longer:
- Wash your face (and, or body) to receive the next products
- Apply moisturizer and makeup primer
- Apply foundation, powder and blush
- If opaque, Apply the bronzer on the top of forehead, below the the blush and on the jawline
- If shimmer, apply the bronzer on the top of the forehead and below the blush area.
Best Brushes To Apply Bronzer
The best bronzers to apply bronzers are the same as powder and blush bronzers, which are fluffy and rounded. But if you are applying liquid or creamy bronzers, I prefer to apply them with my fingers, for more efficiency.
1. Do you apply bronzer before or after foundation?
The best way to apply bronzer is after the foundation, face powder and blush.
2. Is bronzer and Contour the same thing?
No, bronzer and contouring are not the same thing and even though you can use a bronzer as a contouring tool, it was not ideally created with this function in mind.
3. Can I use bronzer as contour?
Yes, you can use bronzer as contour, as long as it is an opaque bronzer. However, if you have easy access to a proper contouring product, it is better to use it instead of a bronzer, as it will give more depth and precision to your makeup.
4. Is it really necessary to use a bronzer?
It is not strictly necessary to use bronzer to have the perfect makeup look. However if you want to get that extra touch of sun-kissed glow, then you need your bronzer.
5. Can you wear a bronzer by itself?
There is no reason you should not use just a bronzer itself in case you don’t want to use other makeup items. I have done this many different times, just make sure you get a long lasting product.
In this article you have learned what is bronzer used for, as well as the different types of bronzers and their uses. Additionally, we took a look at best practices and tips for the perfect application!
If you have more questions and suggestions, please leave a comment and send your message! I will love to hear from you! Also, I’d like to invite you to follow us on Youtube and Instagram!
- Bronzer vs Contour: What Is The Difference?
- How To Prep Your Skin For Flawless Makeup
- What Does Makeup Primer do? Benefits, How To Use Guide
- How To Apply Foundation Like A Pro
- How To Apply & Where to put Concealer On your face
- Where To Apply Blush: Application How To Guide
- How & Where To Contour Your Face 101 Easy Guide
- What Is Bronzer Used For? Tips & Best Practices!
- How To Apply Liquid Lipstick Step By Step Like A Pro!
- How To Apply Matte Lipstick Properly?
- How To Get Eyeshadow To Stay On Longer?